Recently I was contacted by a writer for a real estate magazine and she asked me what are the five decorative items I use most often when staging a home for sale and why I use them.
After giving it some thought, I came up with the following, which can also be used to perk up any space even if you’re not selling your home:
1. Throw Pillows – do wonders for both the living room and bedroom. Use pillows in bright contrasting colors to the couch, chair or bedding color. Because it’s important to use neutral colors on the walls and in furniture when staging a home for sale so that it appeals to the broad range of buyers, throw pillows are your opportunity to add punches of color to a room without overwhelming the space.
2. Throws – are also an opportunity to add a punch of color to a neutral-colored room, however more importantly, it allows the buyer to envision curling up on the couch or chair with a good book or a glass of wine, and relaxing.
3. Colorful Fruit – whether real or fake, can also add pops of color to the kitchen, and make it enticing to a prospective buyer. I use red apples, green apples, oranges, or anything with a bright color. You can place them in a clear glass jar, in a bowl, or on a fruit stand.
4. Orchids – whether real or a good fake, add a touch of elegance to any room. You want buyers to aspire to a certain lifestyle when they view your home, and orchids portray a luxurious lifestyle. I particularly like using them in bathrooms, either on the tub surround (see below left) or the vanity. They also look great on a console table in the foyer.
5. Decorative Balls – of any texture, such as glass or twigs, in a bowl placed on a cocktail table or as a centerpiece on a dining room table, add pop and interest.
What are your favorite decorative accessories?